Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Dealing with blues....

Oh lovelies, it has been busy since S4 got here.  As a matter of fact, I started to get the blues. Not full on depression, but blues. I felt like I was losing control- S1 and S2 had fall break last week, so the timing was bad because everyone was at home.  Everyone at home made things a bit overwhelming and I just wanted to sleep. Plus, S4's first pediatrician appointment did not get off on a very positive note (story for another post).  So I felt like all I was doing was nursing S4 and being a lousy mom to the rest of the crew including my dear hubby.  My oh-so awesome midwife called me and told me that her oh so awesome student midwife would bring over my encapsulated placenta and some dark chocolate for me within the hour. Mind you, it was already about 8pm....
Wait, what did I just say? Encapsulated. Placenta.  Yes I did. The practice of consuming one's placenta is called 'placentophagy.'  After S4 was born, I asked my lovely student midwife (and friend) to turn my placenta into something I could consume.  Why would I want to consume my placenta?  This is why.  Now, this is my first encapsulation experience.  Some women are able to eat pieces of their placenta bit by bit, but my husband would freak if he knew that I had my placenta in the fridge and I'm not sure I would have been able to stomach cutting off bits!  So, into caps went my placenta and my mood and general outlook on things have improved tremendously.  S4 is nursing like a champ and I feel a little more rested.   Ah, our ancestors knew what they were doing back in the day.  More info for you here and here.  It's not for everyone, so I highly suggest doing your own research.  I am very thankful that I had the choice and the opportunity to reap the benefits of such an amazing organ.  My placenta made about 72 caps!

0 comments:

Dresses from Shabby Apple
hit counter
Provided by website-hit-counters.com hit counter page.